Skip to main content

Highland Boy Takes Science World by Storm

Callum Ullman-Smith proves young genius still exists with his study of Palmate newts.


Photo; Callum Ullman-Smith with best friend Smudge, playing on an x-box 360 in his family home.

A 12 year-old schoolboy is making a name for himself in the scientific world after delivering a talk to experts at a conference in Edinburgh this week. (19th of October)
Callum Ullman-Smith, age 12, gave a talk about his study of the Palmate Newt to the Amphibian and Reptile Conservation Symposium in Edinburgh, on Sunday.
Callum, who stated monitoring the unusual Palmate Newt population when he discovered it at the age of seven, has found fame on the BBC News, newspapers and online sites across the nation and some globally, including the New York-based online news site The Dodo.

“I feel like I’ve done something important”

For a near teenage boy this virtual fame has not gone to his head, he said: “I feel fine about it [fame], it was actually quite good fun.
“I feel known. I feel like I’ve done something important. I don’t exactly feel famous as such.
“I would like to be kind of famous. I don’t really want to be a super star, I just want to be known.”
Callum is now most defiantly ‘known’, although did not expect this fame, saying: “It was normal for us I just thought it would continue with us studying them. I never thought this would happen”. Callum and his mother Janet Ullman, who has supported him throughout the development of his research, have achieved and discovered a great amount about the Palmate newt and the newt in general through their commitment to this project, which they thought they would never get anything out of.


Photo; Callum Ullman-Smith searching for Palmate Newts in costal pools.

As a team Callum and Janet have worked exceedingly hard on this project, managing to juggle Callum’s schooling and social life as well and Janet’s job heading up the Highland Seashore Biodiversity Project, which takes up most of her free time. Callum said: “We go out once a month, every month, well we try. So we see what changes there are in the pools every month."

“I suppose it’s easy because I enjoy it”

Janet said: “I enjoy it when he [Callum] is happy, so it’s all rather enjoyable.
“There’s times when it’s a month where it’s pouring down with rain and we can’t get out, so the weather is frustrating.
“I suppose it’s easy because I enjoy it.”
Callum, who spends his time gaming when he isn’t studying News, says: “I would like to write books about prehistoric and European animals. And I want to continue studying until I have more answers than questions. I hope to one day work with bigger animals, like Rhinos, but the Palmate Newt shall always be my favourite.”

Read more about this story at;




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brexit Threat To Disability Rights

The UK Government's pursuit of a hard Brexit would widen the inequality gap faced by disabled people, Social Security Minister, Jane Freeman has said. Ms Freeman raised her concerns on a visit to Strasbourg today, where she discussed Scotland's leading approach to promoting the rights of disabled people with the Council of Europe and Members of the European Parliament. Brexit poses a significant threat to the right that disabled people currently have under international conventions, rights, Ms Freeman said must be protected. Ms Freeman, said; "While the Scottish Government continues working hard to improve the lives of disabled people in Scotland, we know a hard Brexit puts jobs at risk and will create a further attack on their rights, eroding the protections and obligations we have come to expect. "Through my dialogue with the Council of Europe and the European Parliament, I stressed what we are already doing to uphold these principles. "The best w...

Where Is Our £10 An Hour?

While the Scottish Government celebrates the success of the Real Living Wage initiative, and talk proudly of it's growth across the nation I find it hard to be happy about an £8.45 an hour wage when for years we've been promised a £10 an hour minimum. Though the current real living wage isn't too far off the promised £10 an hour it's still not a big enough difference to ensure a good life style for all citizens. With the cost of living increasing at a steeper rate than the national minimum wage, and the current conservative government aiming to remove human rights, and in so, the minimum wage entirely things do not stand to get better in the UK. Laden with student debts and the impossibility of owning your own home outright in most areas, citizen in the UK on the whole are under intense financial pressures with no promise of it getting better. I find it difficult to ignore the fact that council employees are paid standard wage. How are we supposed to believe...

Work-Based Learning Expansion

Hundreds of people will have the opportunity to study for degree-level courses while in employment thanks to a significant expansion of Graduate Level Apprenticeships. A total of 379 places will be made available for individuals to study for a degree, up to Masters levels, while in work in 2017-18. This builds on the investment that delivered a successful pilot of 27 places in the academic year of 2016-17. Skills Development Scotland is working with businesses, universities and colleges to deliver Graduate Level Apprenticeships. The programme aims to meet the needs of employers looking for high levels of academic and industry accreditation combined with experience in the workplace. Minister for Employability and Training, Jamie Hepburn, said; "We carried out a consultation with employers, which identified a need for skills that better support businesses and help them grow. "As a result we have committed to expanding the number of Graduate Level Apprenticeships, br...