Skip to main content

Driving Lessons

If you are anything like me you will have put learning to drive off until you absolutely had too.

There where a number of things which prevented me from getting behind the wheel, and, unlike most the cost wasn't the biggest thing. No, my biggest worry about driving was my personal disbelief that I, only of eight stone and five feet one inch, could possibly, ever, make something as big as a car move.

Every time my mind climbed over the wall that stopped me from thinking I could move the car I was assaulted by fears of endless stalling, the possibility of turning the car directly into a ditch, veering into a car that was overtaking for I failed to remember where the break was, and the ultimate worry that I would turn an inicent by-stander into a pancake.

My first ever driving lesson was just before last Christmas. My mother arranged it, refusing to accept my refusals to do it. Thankfully she did arrange it for a tutor from her area and for when I would be visiting for the holidays, so the lesson would commence on quiet winter roads in the North Highlands over the terrifying grid that is glasgow.

When the day came I spent every minute of the morning trying to memorise the position of the pedals. When the driving instructor pulled into my mother's terrifying cliff of a drive way my heart almost gave out. That small red car represented almost all of my fears since I turned 17.

My driving instructor, it has to be said, was excellent, immediately accepting of my lack of left and right knowledge. And the drive? Well it was increible. My left angle hurt so bad afterwards I couldn't put wait on it, admittedly, but I could not wait to get back into a car.

my second lesson was even better, in this one I did for the first and hopefully last time stall, but I also drove a single track road without falling of the cliff edge- an overall success in my personal opinion.

I'm exceedingly pleased my mother got me behind that wheel, and I can not wait for lesson three, this time IN glasgow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brexit Threat To Disability Rights

The UK Government's pursuit of a hard Brexit would widen the inequality gap faced by disabled people, Social Security Minister, Jane Freeman has said. Ms Freeman raised her concerns on a visit to Strasbourg today, where she discussed Scotland's leading approach to promoting the rights of disabled people with the Council of Europe and Members of the European Parliament. Brexit poses a significant threat to the right that disabled people currently have under international conventions, rights, Ms Freeman said must be protected. Ms Freeman, said; "While the Scottish Government continues working hard to improve the lives of disabled people in Scotland, we know a hard Brexit puts jobs at risk and will create a further attack on their rights, eroding the protections and obligations we have come to expect. "Through my dialogue with the Council of Europe and the European Parliament, I stressed what we are already doing to uphold these principles. "The best w...

Boosting Young Talent In Bussiness

A new training programme for young professionals has been launched by a leading South West Bespoke Training Services . Young Talent is a new six month programme for young professionals between 18-26 years old to develop business skills in those who have little working experience. Anne Messer, managing director and creator of the new programme, said: "The aim is to create highly competent employees with the ability to communicate effectively on all level, as well as helping them develop a detailed self-awareness. "Their dedication to purpose, their openness, an inclination toward putting people first and their inbuilt knowledge of the internet, social media and up-to-the-minute technology, presents countless opportunities to their employers." Know as the Millennial Generation, people born between 1982 and 2002, became the largest generation in history. Overtaking the Baby Boomers in 2015 at 91 million citizens, where the Baby Boomers totaled 77 million. As the...

Roads Opening On M8, M73 and M74

Keith Brown has announced the opening of the M8, M73 and M74 as part of the £500 million M8, M73 and M74 Motorway Improvements Project. The Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Jobs and Fair work said all daytime lane restrictions on the M8, M73 and M74 will be removed progressively over the coming days, freeing up capacity on the key part of Central Scotland's motorway network. This will allow road users to experience the benefit of the widened motorways and help deliver the full journey time savings of the new M8 motorway opened in April and the M74 Raith Underpass opened in February. As part of the Motorway Improvements Project, a range of improvements have been built over the last three years, including a new M8 motorway, significant improvements to Raith and Shawhead junctions as well as widening of the M8 M73 and M74, with new lanes providing an increase in motorway capacity. Mr Brown, said; £We are just a few days away from seeing the last of the lane restrictions bein...